Puglia, is the long, thin wine region in the far south-eastern corner of the “boot” of Italy. The southern part of Apulia, the heel of the boot of the Italian peninsula, is a vast fertile plain, whereas the north and centre of the region are hilly.
Formerly, this region was known to be the cellar of Europe, due to the large volume of wine produced there. But for some time, local producers have focused on the production of quality wines. The choice of local grape varieties is enormous. The most important are the Uva di Troia or Bombino Nero, the Montepulciano and the Sangiovese. Among the whites, the Verdeca predominates, but the Bianco d’Alessano, Malvasia, Trebbiano and Bombino Bianco are also used in many wines.
Studies in California show that Primitivo di Manduria, grown in Salento, has the same DNA profile as the American Zinfandel. The Salice Salentino, a powerful red wine from the province of Lecce, comes from Negroamaro grapes and deserves special mention, as well as Castel del Monte, probably one of the best-known wines overseas.
In terms of terroir, Puglia has a formidable array of natural tools to help encourage prolific vine growth.
The hot Mediterranean climate, persistent sunshine and occasional sea breezes make for a near-perfect environment for viticulture. The region’s geology shows a bias towards cretaceous limestone under layers of iron-rich quaternary deposits.
- Cantina Lama Di Rose
- www.lamadirose.it • email@example.com
- Cantine Losito
- www.cantinelosito.it • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colli Della Murgia
- www.collidellamurgia.it • email@example.com
- D’Alfonso Del Sordo
- www.dalfonsodelsordo.it • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erminio Campa Viticoltore
- www.erminiocampa.it • email@example.com
- La Torretta Vini
- www.vinilatorretta.it • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Masseria Duca D’Ascoli
- www.masseriaducadascoli.it • email@example.com
- www.mocaverovini.it • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santi Dimitri Azienda Agricola
- www.santidimitri.it • email@example.com
- Tenuta Patruno Perniola
- www.tenutapatrunoperniola.it • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vespa Vignaioli Per Passione
- www.vespavignaioli.it • email@example.com
- Vini Om – In Vino Veritas Puglia
- www.invinoveritaspuglia.com • firstname.lastname@example.org